About Throat Cancer
Throat cancer is a critical condition in which cancerous tumors get developed in the upper part of the throat(Nasopharynx), the middle part of the throat(Oropharynx), the bottom part of the throat (Hypopharynx ) and larynx (voice box).
Factors that increase your risk of throat cancer are listed below:
- Old Age: Cancer risk increases as you grow old. It occurs mostly in people who are above the age of 65.
- Tobacco Consumption: Excessive consumption of tobacco can also result in throat cancer. It also has several other side effects as well.
- Addiction to Alcohol: Regular drinkers have greater chances of getting affected by throat cancer.
- Unhealthy Diet: Unhealthy eating habits can also expose the body to get affected by several types of diseases. Always make it a point to eat nutritious and healthy food.
- Infections: Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infection, contracting Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and Gastroesophageal reflux disease can also increase the risk factor.
Though there are no particular symptoms for throat cancer but if any of the below mentioned symptoms occur repetitively then a doctor should be consulted as soon as possible:
- Change in the voice quality (hoarseness)
- Throat pain and soreness in mouth
- Bad breath
- Coughing with bloody sputum
- Difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Ear and neck pain
- Sudden weight loss
Following tests can help in detecting the presence of cancer:
- Endoscope or laryngoscope: They are used to get a close look of the throat and if abnormalities are found during the test then Biopsy (removal of a part of tissue) is done
- Imaging tests: CT (computed tomography), PET (positron emission tomography), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and X-rays are done which helps the doctor find out the spread of the cancer
- Tests like Barium Swallow and Laryngeal Videostroboscopy can also be done if required.
- Quit smoking and drinking
- Drink alcohol in moderation and get rid of alcohol addiction at the earliest
- Eat healthy diet full of vitamins and antioxidants
- Protect yourself from diseases like HPV by opting for safe sex
Throat cancer can be treated to a certain extent with the help of proper medical supervisions and treatments.